Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Shepard Fairey

Last week, my mother, brother, and two cousins went to the ICA to visit the Shepard Fairey exhibit. My mother enjoyed the show a lot and so did I. My favorite pieces were the ones of the different musical artists, like Tupac, Biggie, Chuck D, Bob Marley, and also the one of Malcolm X. I liked the Malcolm X piece because it portrayed him as I think of him in a way. I feel that Malcolm X was either admired or disliked during the time of the Black Panthers and the picture showed him in the light, as a good person, and in the dark, as a person who people disliked. I also enjoyed the piece that was based on a dollar bill. I thought it was interesting how he twisted some words to fit his own interpretation of the dollar. An example of this is the saying "E pluribus unum", he changed to "E pluribus venom. I thought it was interesting how he changed the American symbol of a eagle to a vulture. Ill speak on this more a little later.

No comments:

Post a Comment