Thursday, October 29, 2009

Concentration

Movement Photography


My concentration for my portfolio is on movement. I find a deep interest in this because I find the movements that people make mid-motion are interesting. People do not often capture or realize certain poses that we make when we are in movement, so I feel it is my job to bring it to the common folk. In this concentration, I am looking to capture may different motions. I am considering using a Holga camera to show the change in movement. I want to capture movement in sports, moving objects, and recreational activities.

Dr. Harold Eugene Edgerton is one of my influences for my photography. I admire how he used a high-speed camera along with a strobe light in order to capture different images like a bullet moving through an apple, or a ball bouncing many and the camera capturing the different stages of the ball’s movement. His images capture exactly what I am trying to achieve with my photos of exhibiting what the naked eye does not always see when things happen within a hundredth of a second.

Eadweard Muybridge captures another aspect of my concentration which is on the movement of people. Muybridge was known for capturing images of people doing simple actions like walking or running. In my photos, I focus more on complicated movements like those one would make when interacting with others like in a sport. Muybridge captured all the movements and arranged them in a series to show the sequence of events. I am capturing these movements but I select one that best exhibits what I am trying to show.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Patrick,
    I followed you because I am a huge fan of your work and love your thoughts about concentration. I love your dedication to your blog, posting at 5:30 am. You seem like a very wise and talented man and I am honored to be your first follower.

    ReplyDelete